Archive for December, 2007

Grading Old Walt Whitman Road

grading-old-walt-whitman-road.jpg
Black and white photograph showing a rig with four horses pulling four men aboard an open cart fitted with a scraping blade located just front of the rear axle. Perhaps the extra load allowed a cleaner cut.

Advertisements

December 10, 2007 at 3:59 pm 1 comment

Glaab’s produce stand

glaubs-produce-stand.jpg
Black and white photograph showing five of the eleven Glaab children in front of their summer vegetable stand, located just north of the family hardware store on Route 110.

December 10, 2007 at 3:57 pm Leave a comment

Glaab’s hardware store

glaubs-hardware-store.jpg
Black and white photograph showing Glaab’s, circa 1930 on Route 110. In addition to hardware, auto accessories, seeds, and its own greenhouse, it also had a gas pump, as many stores did at the time.

December 10, 2007 at 3:56 pm Leave a comment

Gas pump at May’s store

gas-pump-at-mays-store.jpg
Black and white photograph showing a young woman in her dress gassing up the tractor at a very simple Texaco gas pump. May’s store was one of many that sold gas along with groceries or candy.

December 10, 2007 at 3:55 pm Leave a comment

Closed electric trolley car

closed-electric-trolley-car.jpg
Black and white photograph showing a trolley car, complete with window shades, cow catcher, and electric wires overhead. After twenty years in service, legal agreements which kept fares low, and the growing popularity of private automobiles, put trolleys out of business.

December 10, 2007 at 3:53 pm Leave a comment

Bus on a snowy day

bus-on-a-snowy-day.jpg
Black and white photograph showing an early bus making its way along a very snowy road. But buses were quieter and less frightening for the cows in the nearby fields, and by 1919 had replaced the trolley along Route 110.

December 10, 2007 at 3:50 pm Leave a comment

Boys’ school playhouse and pool

boys-school-playhouse-and-pool.jpg
Black and white photograph of the Nazareth Boys’ School gymnasium and swimming pool built in the 1930’s by Frank Schneider Sr. The “playhouse” was used during WW II by the defense department to train airplane mechanics; the pool was maintained by Farmingdale Village until 2004.

December 10, 2007 at 3:49 pm Leave a comment

Older Posts


December 2007
M T W T F S S
    Jan »
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31